Friday, September 1, 2017

Book Review: Take Me With You

Take Me With You : Not your ordinary road trip book.


Two trusted friends recommended this book, so I made it a priority read.  When I first started it, I thought "oh boy, I can see why they loved it" and I figured I'd be in for one emotional story.  Take Me With You has a heavy heart and I expected to cry throughout it.  I was surprised to only be truly moved once, by the kindness of children.  Given the topic and rawness of the characters, I feel a little let down by the fact that I wasn't more effected.  I'm a little torn between liking the author's slightly detached handling and thinking she missed some opportunities to open her people up a little more.  Over all, the story is very sparely told, which sometimes I really like, but I haven't made up my mind whether or not I like it here.  I guess it's a balancing act between being schmaltzy and disengaged.  All that aside though, Take Me With You is still a heartbreaking and yet sweet story of people finding the people they need to make it through life's hardest times.  It wasn't quite what I expected, but I did really like it and would love a sequel because my favorite character was just starting to come into his own.


Buy it for yourself!


(This review is also posted on Goodreads and Instagram.)


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment