Thursday, February 26, 2015

Another Indicator of My Advanced Age


You know you're getting old when the decade you think of as your childhood decade is now a silly "dress up day" for your children.  Today is Decades Day at my daughter's middle school.  When I was her age, that meant dressing up as a hippie or bobby sockser.  For Elise, it's a Valley Girl.  We had a blast trying to make her bangs a "claw" and teasing her  side ponytail as high as we could.  She's amazed that everyone in the 80s hasn't died from lung cancer from all the hairspray we used.  As she layered on the jewelry (we were bummed that we forgot the giant earrings) she giggled over the silliness of it all, and wished I'd kept my charm necklace.  I taught her how to peg her pants and she commented on how much longer it was taking for her to get ready.  She said "just getting ready for school is a job!"  She's grateful she's not growing up in the '80s.  I'm grateful I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment