Monday, February 23, 2015

The Tragedy of Glen Campbell - I'm Not Gonna Miss You

I really don't care a lot about the Oscars.  I mostly think the big Hollywood awards are generally a bunch of  privileged pansies congratulating each other on how wonderful they are and with the exception of the technical categories, are more a reflection of popularity and political trends among show biz elites.  In fact, I watched most of last night's ceremony on fast forward thanks to TiVo.  I did stop to watch Tim McGraw pay tribute to Glen Campbell though, and let me tell you, I don't think I've ever heard a sadder song.

If you don't know, Glen Campbell is being claimed by Alzheimer's disease.  A horribly cruel disease, it is robbing him of himself and he knows it.  Fortunately, before his health deteriorated too much, Campbell and his family produced a documentary about his life and his illness.  He wrote an amazing song about it that is utterly heartbreaking. Tim McGraw's rendition at the Oscar ceremony was wonderful, but I think the song is even more powerful sung by Campbell himself.  You'll want to get some Kleenex before you click play.


You may also want to check out the movie this song was made for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment