Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Queen Birdie

Once upon a time we had a fat tom cat.  Fat Tom (name changed to protect his privacy) allowed mice to live in the garage.  I found this unacceptable, so I went looking for a new cat.  Having grown up with herds of feral farm cats, I knew that females are better hunters. I focused on finding a female cat in need of a home.  I learned a stray cat had given birth in a friend's garage and she was looking for homes for the kittens. I picked the prettiest little female, named her Birdie and congratulated myself when, at about seven weeks old, she caught the garage mouse with great ferocity. Birdie grew in beauty and attitude.  She is a fierce girl who accepts affection only on her terms.  We jokingly call her Your Highness, but she merely twitches her tail at us.  Acknowledging our humor is beneath her.

No comments:

Post a Comment